A discussion paper has just been released seeking views on how occupational ceilings should work in the skilled migration program.
Once an occupational ceiling has been reached, no further invitations or nominations for that occupation can be issued for the remainder of the programme year. Occupational ceilings do not apply to employer sponsored visas so specific skilled vacancies can still be filled through those visa subclasses even after the relevant ceiling has been reached for the points tested visa subclasses.
Of the approximately 200 occupational groups covered by occupational ceilings, the following six reached their ceilings in the 2012-13 programme year:
- Chemical and Materials Engineers (ANZCO Code 2331);
- Electronics Engineers (ANZCO Code 2334);
- Other Engineering Professionals (ANZCO Code 2339);
- ICT Business and Systems Analysts (ANZCO Code 2611);
- Software and Applications Programmers (ANZCO Code 2613); and
- Telecommunications Engineers (ANZCO Code 2633).
If you want to have your say submissions are open until 16 December 2013